Nicola & Mia's Story

Mia wasn’t what I thought I wanted when I was looking for my new horse, but I think I was drawn to her chestnut mare attitude. I rode her once and fell in love, and my mum seen the look on my face and bought her for me. She became mine on the 27th of April 2012.

We never went off the yard to compete but she was really successful in the little show jumping and dressage shows, always in the ribbons. In the spring of 2013, Mia went lame and ended up in the Royal Dick Vet School for an MRI scan of her front leg. It showed 2 tears in her Deep Digital Flexor Tendon, and they said she may never come sound again. We gave her the chance and moved her to a quieter yard so she could live out and enjoy her early retirement at age 7. We also decided she needed a friend, and that’s where Lacey came in. The girls bonded straight away and were truly like sisters; they were always by each other’s side and got themselves into some amount of trouble with their double act! They spent 3 years together and I’ll forever treasure the memories I have of the two of them.

In June 2016, we moved Mia and Lacey to a yard closer to home with better facilities as I wanted to get Lacey out competing a lot more. The arena surface was a lot better for Mia as well, so she got an odd turn too. One day, I noticed she looked really sore on her back leg and called the vets out again to do x-rays and ultrasounds. Turns out, Mia had fractured her hock sometime between her x-rays in 2013 and her new ones in 2016. On top of that, she had torn a giant hole in the same tendon she ripped in her front leg, and the lump on her fetlock that we thought was just a windgall was actually the fluid building up at the side of the tendon with nowhere to go. I could not believe what I was seeing or hearing.

I had some serious thinking to do. Although Mia was already healing from the fractured hock there was no way the hole in her tendon would heal, the vet said it could snap at any moment. I didn’t want Mia to live a life in a stable on pain killers just waiting for the day her tendon would snap and send her into agony. I made the decision to put Mia to sleep.

Mia went to Rainbow Bridge on the 4th of October 2016 aged 10 years old. My family, Lacey and I were heartbroken but I knew that I had made the right decision for my girl. I came across the Mane Show when one of my Facebook friends shared the December schedule and decided to enter for a bit of fun and to share how amazing Mia was. I didn’t expect much, but everyone thought Mia was just as gorgeous as I did. We were pretty successful in the December and January shows, but nothing prepared me for being placed Supreme Champion for February! I cried a mixture of happy and sad tears, knowing that all those sashes and rosettes were Mia’s but that I would never be able to get the picture of her standing with them all.

I was so proud of Mia for being the Mane Show’s first posthumous Supreme Champion. I would do anything to get my girl back, but I know she’s happy up there. Thank you so much to the Mane Show for providing classes for the special ponies that live in clouds and hearts rather than stables or fields.